Monday, December 30, 2013

The End of the Journey

Hello everyone! This blog will be my last one and I know how sad this might be for you but don’t cry! I don’t know about you, but for me, writing these blogs have been an experience. I never knew much about blogs, but I wasn't happy when I found out we had to start one. Later on, I started to appreciate them because I've learned so many things about fantasy that I never knew before. I've learned more about witches, vampires, different authors and more! I've also learned more about myself and why I like fantasy books more than any other types of books. I've found new books I can read and more people that like fantasy! The question I’d like to ask myself today and many of you is: why do you like to read fantasy fiction books?

My niece’s (she’s 4) answer to this is: “Reading? I can’t read.” She’s a funny little child, but seriously here’s a few peoples answer to why they like to read fantasy fiction.

Olivia said: “I like being transported somewhere I've never been before. It makes me dream and it makes me happy.”*

Jediraven said: “Fantasy novels are a way for me to escape from a job where I am forced to sit for 8 hours and pretend that I care about anything or anybody else. It's a way to feel important, a way to live vicariously through great characters and have adventures. It keeps my imagination alive, and makes me think as a Psychology major that perhaps crazy people are living the perfect life when that hallucinate or have delusions of grandeur. I would rather be a Stark of Winterfell, an Elf of Rivendell, onboard with the crew of the Serenity, traveling alongside Richard Cypher, or a melodramatic 3,000 year old vampire. I'll take Tamriel over Pennsylvania any day.”*

Brecht said: “I once saw a reporter ask that same question to a kid queuing to the get the (then) latest Harry Potter novel. His answer: "Have you looked at reality lately?"
I think that summarizes it beautifully. It allows you to dream and escape to a better place, a world as it should be rather than as it is. It charges my batteries and comforts me, amuses me, inspires me, touches me deeply, etc...Often when I talk with people who do not enjoy fantasy, they'll say things like "but that is so far-fetched, that is not how it would go in real life." I then stare at them blankly for a moment, wondering why they consider that an argument against fantasy. I get so sick of the real world so often, why would I want to read about it?”*

For the final one, I shall be giving my answer. I agree with Olivia, Jediraven, and Brecht. You do feel transported somewhere else, into your own world full of imagination. It does help escape everything in life; all the problems, all the stress and all the work. It feels nice to be relieved of all those things every once in a while, it’s like you’re pausing your life, taking a break from it. Also, I agree with Brecht about the fact that I get sick of the world, so why read about it?
Fantasy for me is like all in one. Some fantasy books are intriguing, some are romantic, some are the usual vampire or witch books and some are all of them together. They show a different way of living and it’s all very exciting to see different worlds. When reading fantasy books, I get very into it  and I start to imagine what the scenery looks like, what the people look like, their reactions and everything. I love that part because it’s like your creating your own story and it makes it much more exciting. Most of the time, I feel as though I've become a part of the characters. I laugh with them in their happy moments and I cry with them in their sad moments. I love that the books take me to another world and I love that the books capture me. It makes me want to read faster because I’m curious about the ending, while still wanting to read slower because I don’t want this experience to end.

This is my experience and I’d love to know yours! Leave your comments below and tell me why you like to read fantasy fiction books! As I said at the start of this blog, it’s my last one and I hope that during this journey you guys have learned as much as I did.

Farewell!



1 comment:

  1. Fantastic blog with excellent postings throughout. I'm a big fan of fantasy myself and love getting caught up in a magical or mystical world. These worlds have a certain dreamlike quality and I love picturing the landscapes and the adventures.

    If you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend the George R.R. Martin series "Song of Ice and Fire". It's what the HBO show 'Game of Thrones' is based on. Also, if you're willing to mix sci-fi with your fantasy, the Hyperion series is amazing.

    ReplyDelete